In my response to Eric Yoffie’s HuffPost piece, which was just chock-full of silliness, I actually left out two of his more absurd statements:
We know that what we believe about God may be wrong, but we prefer the possibility of false belief to no belief at all.
And then there was his conclusion:
But start somewhere. The search for God is frustrating and difficult, and it is never done. But with God, our lives have meaning and purpose; without God, we are reduced to being no more than a tiny speck in a vast universe.
I'm not the only one who took on his column. Check out today’s edition of "Jesus and Mo," with a guest appearance by the other Mo, Moses, spoofing the good rabbi:

I know you are the Atheist Rabbit - As in Jewish but Non-Theist, but I see a lot of Christian type 'God Belief' in this cartoon. -- Yes I'm from the falsely claimed 'Christian Nation,' America. The Cartoon has sort of a Rick Warren like view of God.
ReplyDeleteGod is needed to Give Purpose to one's life, without an external master one can not find meaning to one's life is the implication. And what's so bad about 'a tiny speck' anyway -- Particularly one that can understand this vast universe.
Dan Barker in his most recent book criticizes that Rick Warren version of God.