Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Ramallah" Rabbinical Student Replies

In returning to my blog, I just discovered this “old” comment that came from one of the rabbinical students who was mentioned in a Daniel Gordis column (prompting my blog post that you can find here).
For the sake of convenience I’m calling its writer Commenter and referring to him as a male.  My response follows.
Rabbi Jeffrey,

As one of the Dirty Dozen Rabbis of Ramallah, I think I need to exonerate at least myself from charges of anti-Zionism. We were not toasting the downfall of the Zionist entity. I was helping my friend celebrate his birthday; Ramallah can actually be a fun town.

As far as the person who didn't want an Israeli tallis, or the students who wanted to mourn the creation of the State, I have seen no verification that they exist. Assuming they do, I'm not them and don't appreciate being put into their category. I have lots of love and appreciation for the Jewish State. One of the ways I support Israel is by dissenting some of her self-destructive actions.

Rabbi Jeffrey, there are a lot of Jews turning their back on Israel because of the extreme and unremitting polarity characterizing the intra-Jewish dialogue on the conflict. Some of the rabbinical students you mention are trying to bring some form of nuance into the conversation. We are deeply committed to a standard of humanity we see exemplified by our tradition and The State of Israel is far from that standard. Sir, with all due respect, your article has NOT helped that cause.

I think you heard some things which disturbed you, a reasonable reaction, and then you drew some pretty hasty conclusions. Have you seen the hatred and vitriol in the comments on Rabbi Gordis and Daniel Kaiman's pieces? Were you, as a Secular Humanist Rabbi, not horrified? You've now joined in the choir of thoughtless critique of a pretty sincere and caring group of people. Their only crime was to exercise their freedom of dissent in an attempt to stop Israel from destroying Herself.

And I'm sorry if this hurts, but I can't resist pointing out the farce that is an Atheist Rabbi saying that an Anti-Zionist should not become a Rabbi.
I am grateful that Commenter took the time to write.  I have known Danny ever since I participated in a multi-year seminar for educators when he was at the Mandel Center.  For this reason I am predisposed to trust his facts.  In retrospect I wonder whether I was pulled into an argument featuring a straw man (or some straw rabbinical students) who don’t really exist.  If, as Commenter says, these students are a “pretty sincere and caring group of people” who are trying to “stop Israel from destroying” itself, then they don’t seem to be the people described in Danny’s column.
Danny wrote, for example, about one student who sought tallit buying advice and excluded the possibility of one made in Israel.  If this student solely intended to boycott products made in the territories, I would not decry that.  This is not what Danny described.  He implied a complete boycott which I consider to be both unproductive and anti-Zionist.
If Commenter does not hold the beliefs attributed to him then my critique does not apply to him.  If he feels that he was unfairly grouped with anti-Zionists, he should take that up with Danny Gordis.  Why is he angry with me if he doesn’t share their views?

Commenter closes by “pointing out the farce that is an Atheist Rabbi saying that an Anti-Zionist should not become a Rabbi.”  I did not say that.  I simply posed the question:  “If you don’t care about klal Yisrael, why become a rabbi at all?”
Commenter made clear his “love and appreciation for the Jewish State.”  Asked and answered.
As for the “farce” of this question coming from an atheist rabbi...well I’ve now become quite accustomed to silly digs like that (heavy sigh).  I'm hopeful that he supports Jewish pluralism.  Perhaps as a future rabbi, Commenter might open a book or website about Secular Humanistic Judaism and learn about our philosophy. 
More to the point, I challenge Commenter to explain how, by denying the existence of the supernatural, I have abdicated my right to love Israel and critique those who challenge its legitimacy.  He apologizes if this hurts.  It does not.  It merely disappoints.

3 comments:

  1. As you say, if you don't care about Yisrael, why become a Rabbi at all.

    I would go further.

    As an atheist, why be a JEW at all? After all, according to your atheism, it is all based on MADE UP or DELUSIONAL claims.


    DAVID DUKE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you gained the distinction of having David Duke, former Grand Wizard of the KKK, comment on your blog! What a loser he is.

    On the other hand, Rabbi Jeffrey, I completely agree with you. I personally see the future of the Jews - especially non-religious ones - in diaspora as bleak. We need more idealistic secular Jews like you in Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commenter believes both atheism and anti-Zionism have a place in Judaism. Commenter, however, believes in God and the State of Israel. Commenter just thought it was funny and a bit ironic. Commenter also isn't angry at Athiest Rabbi for anything, but did want to point out how writing op-eds based on Broken Telephone a la Gordis just add fuel to the flames of the fire that is sinat hinam. Commenter would like to conclude by saying, we didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the world was turning...no we didn't light it but we're trying to fight it.

    ReplyDelete