This morning I received an e-mail from someone named Jacob Stein who calls himself the “Jewish Philosopher” and has a blog by that name. I asked him to not write to me and to use the comments section of this blog instead. He then left a comment on a topic unrelated to anything in the post he commented upon. I am given to understand that this is called “trolling.”
When I asked him to please go trolling elsewhere, he proceeded to post six more comments about my job, my sexual orientation and even my ex-wife (whose name he used and who absolutely has a right to privacy since she has no connection to my point of view or this blog). I was really taken aback by his tone and the personal nature of his attacks.
I am new to blogging. I know that many, many people will not agree with me and I’m not really writing for them. I do hope that those who disagree and choose to read my posts will learn from my point of view as I have from other blogs.
I have seen this man’s comments on other blogs and I know that he has targeted other bloggers, too. I’m really sorry that I got on his radar and I will delete every comment that he leaves. I hope this will dissuade him from wasting his time by writing them.
I’m sure he has better things to do. I know that I do.
___
UPDATE: As I indicated in my comment below, I am now moderating all comments.
___
UPDATE: As I indicated in my comment below, I am now moderating all comments.
Jacob stein isn't a bad person he just thinks u r a rabbi yet an atheist and gay which r both against the Torah and btw some of the anonymous comments were not him. Btw I know him
ReplyDeleteWhat r u talking about Jacob stein actually tries to make people religious as opposed to some gay atheist who does the opposite
ReplyDeleteThis blog is a source of insight and inspiration to many. Keep up the good work and know that many of us support you!
ReplyDeleteI love this blog, rav. ;-)
ReplyDeleteAnd I think you're totally right in moderating out these trolls.
This is your place, and people coming here should at least show some basic politeness. You don't deserve to open up your doors and let in people who won't stop insulting you.
Keep up the good work Rabbi. I'm an ex-Orthodox Jew that really enjoys reading your thoughts and opinions on Jewish matters. JP is actually a small sick man. If you do some research on the internet you will discover all sorts of his (mis)deeds. Good Shabbos to you and all the best.
ReplyDelete